Techie posts. Apple excitement. Internet fun. Just a place to post things that are exciting to this Switching Granny!!

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Granny's Big Trip outside the Box

After spending the last week in Texas with Cali Lewis and Neal Campbell from GeekBrief.TV I am rather high regarding the awesome opportunities that have come from relationships that are inside the box (box meaning of course my macbook or my imac.) Yet friends inside the box would not be visible w/o the box being open and connected. Once the lid shuts or the power is pulled there are no viable relationships it may seem.

OHHH but the people I have had the privilege of getting to know while living my life mostly inside the box have over and over again become very real to me and a huge part of my life.









My impressions of Neal Campbell and Cali Lewis:



These dear people are genuinely kind, and thoughtful. Cali is as shiny and happy in person as she is on GeekBrief.TV

Their enthusiasm for all things tech just spills over continually as they talk together and share ideas. They are lovers of people who feel a strong sense of connection with their viewers. Yet because the majority of production is done from their home, the time they have to spend with folks is limited. I was surprised by just how much of each day goes into preparing for a four minute episode. Neal and Cali spend a lot of time discussing the latest tech/ gadget news that sparks their interest. And then make their decisions regarding what segments they'll feature. After the decisions are made its time to study in detail the gadgets or tech news they've chosen to review. Then they write a script for the show from which Cali will ultimately read via the TelePrompTer.



Then its off to freshen up for Cali.. a bit of lipstick and hair combing and she's ready for the cameras.

Cali behind the scene from Switching Granny on Vimeo.


Neal and Cali work together like a well synchronized musical composition! They just know where to respect the other to get the job done with the most ease and professionalism. Once Cali is in front of the blue screen looking at the TelePrompTer, Neal stands aside with his nifty hillcrest loop pointer and keeps the TelePrompTer syncing with Cali's reading. Seems that they normally need to re-shoot a couple of times for tongue twisting sentences.



And then after the shoot Neal will take the digital files and import/ export/ edit/ upload.... all very very time consuming and precise. He showed me how he edits differently from others by using Cali's voice to make the cuts between segments. This is just one secret as to how they are able to compact so much information in to such a short amount of time. Often it is well past midnight when Neal and Cali finally have a show posted online. Lots of hard and tedious work, but they excel at this and seem to thoroughly enjoy themselves along the way.


Smooth like butter is how I described their interaction on a previous tweet. But it goes beyond that because they are so obviously in love with one another, thrilled with what they are doing, and connected to the friends who they consider family who regularly view the show.

They are professionals who don't take for- granted how far they have come in a very short time.

I couldn't help but fall in love with them. Warm and inviting they not only brought me to visit with them but also took extra measures to make me feel like a very special guest.

I'm posting the brief I was in. Often GeekBrief.TV goes on location to interview someone who has made an impact or has utilized technology to an extent that it might encourage others. Since I had been a viewer of GBTV since before they left their day jobs, I suppose that Cali & Neal consider me someone who has been a part of the show since nearly the beginning.

I am delighted and always will be grateful to Neal Campbell and Cali Lewis for getting this Granny Out of the Box for a week of geek at GBTV studio's! Besides flying me to Texas they overwhelmed me with generous hospitality!

These two are the "Real Deal" and exemplify why this new media is just awesome!

Enjoy GeekBrief Episode #602: Granny's 7 minutes of fame!






6 comments:

Steve Schmidt said...

Well I read thru this great recap of your trip and could just sense the happiness you experienced while with Cali and Neal. I followed your tweets as much as possible last week while you were on "the Big Trip," was very happy you were able to go. With all the bad news in the world, it was nice to just relax for a few minutes w a coffee and peruse your tweets pix videos of the days on the visit. Thank you for a few minutes of peace and thoughtfulness in the evenings. May God grant you the chance to go on more super trips such as this one to Texas

switchinggranny said...

Thank you for the kind comment - how neat that my trip was a diversion for you too! :)

Blessings

Dave Peterson said...

Great recounting of your wonderful trip (and great photos, too!). Cali and Neal are two of the most amazing people I've ever met (though such talk embarrasses them, and starts them protesting that they're nothing special), and I loved hearing about your experiences with them. Watching them put together GeekBrief and knowing that it will be enjoyed by hundreds of thousands of people around the world is a an incredible experience.

Mr. Puggle® said...

wow, your tweet about your grand puggle baby came my way and i clicked on your site and now watched your video. you go grandma! you are one lookin' young gma. :)

Unknown said...

Oh my that was great seeing you talking to Cali . I knew some of the things you told me about . That was so fun that you got to be on there with her . Are you on Face Book now ?
My computer doesn't have a camera so I can't do what you do .Were you able to put things from your old computer on your Apple . I have 2 external hard drives to hold my pictures . I wonder if they would work with an Apple . I also have programs to fix pictures . So I guess I wondering about switching LOL . Worried Granny I guess . LOL
Oh how is your grand daughter ? Does she still dance on Thursdays . I have 14 Grand Kids now .
Well I better go help my DH .
Later friend , Mary

switchinggranny said...

Mary

So good to hear from you. Yes I am on FB.. I'm Martha Garrett or http://www.facebook.com/switchNgranny

Yes.. you will find that your hard drives work w/ your mac. Do call an apple store and ask questions. .there is also a website (likely more) dedicated to switching.. I'll look for it.

And actually I've moved my blog to wordpress.. all the posts are on one blog w/ different catagories. Go to http://www.SwitchingGranny.com

I hope you consider switching! It is the best decision I made computer wise ever. And we don't even have an Apple store. But the community of folks online to help is awesome. (like Cali Lewis) Lots of podcasts etc.

If you switch let me know.. I'll do all I can to help you along. It is actually much easier than what you are doing now.. I promise. And stable.. Just Works!

Maybe you can jump in easily w/ an iPad? iDea?

Thanks again for the comment.. I'll be looking for you on FB.

Martha

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter