Techie posts. Apple excitement. Internet fun. Just a place to post things that are exciting to this Switching Granny!!

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Rex



Rex

By Cathleen Lewis

I’ve just finished reading one of the most inspiring stories I’ve ever encountered.

This account about a Mother who gives birth to a desperately disabled son was emotionally difficult to read. Cathleen’s son did not talk, walk or eat solid food. Initially thinking that the entirety of Rex’s problems were due to a congenital brain tumor; by the time he was 8 weeks old Rex had endured invasive neurosurgery.

There continued to be problems, ultimately Rex was diagnosed blind and profoundly autistic.

The reality of coping with all of this was excruciatingly hard. Cathleen’s marriage dissolved among other things.

Yet, I continued to be moved by each new step of her journey and the uniquely beautiful ways in which God intervened on behalf of Cathleen and her baby boy Rex.

It seems extremely difficult situations so often lead us to reaching beyond ourselves to cope.

When one is completely overwhelmed with life’s circumstances and the “hand that is dealt”, we can turn to the Lord and find Him always more than able to strengthen us and lead us through victoriously.
Then after all of the intensity of this raw emotion I am completely blown away by the incredible gifts we have all been given by God through Rex.

Rex is a musical genius a genuine savant. I love the quote at the beginning of chapter 9: “The human mind- so mystifying in its capacity to accommodate both disability and genius in the same person!” – Lesley Stahl, 60 minutes correspondent said regarding Rex.

At around the age of 40 my own life changed drastically as I began realizing that my physical abilities were being compromised. I was beginning to deal with the progressive symptoms of multiple sclerosis. And although many of the things I once did and enjoyed I am now incapable of accomplishing. Thankfully there are many other paths developing in my life that are far richer in regards to eternity; and these are truly the only things that count.

I am profoundly affected and inspired by reading “Rex” 2008 Thomas Nelson Publishing

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter